Why did you choose a Beach over an SE??

Specific area for all things Beach.

Moderator: Badvok

Badvok
Casual Camper
Casual Camper

Re: Why did you choose a Beach over an SE??

Post by Badvok » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:41 pm

I don't know if they offered the 3.2 in the Cali?

I have seen a few Multivans and Caravelles with the 3.2. The last one i saw come up for sale was LHD.

Stu
Site Admin
Site Admin
Model: T5.1 California Berghaus
Transmission: Manual
Colour: Natural Grey

Post by Stu » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:41 pm

No I don't think it was ever in the Cali.
Stu....

www.vw-californiaclub.com ~ www.vw-californiaclub.co.uk ~ vwcc.uk

You can now follow us on Twitter @VWCaliforniaEU.

Californication
Casual Camper
Casual Camper
Model: None

Post by Californication » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:49 pm

I didn't. ;-)

Lee

Post by Lee » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:16 am

I could see myself in the future if i ever sold my full fat cali getting a beach ... It deffo on the list ,but would be a loaded used model and not new

Rhyddin
New User
New User
Model: T6 Beach
Transmission: DSG
Colour: Acapulco Blue

Post by Rhyddin » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:29 pm

For me, it was a matter of priorities.

An Ocean/SE would be more compromising than a Beach because, when it arrives, I'll be trading in an A6 Avant for my new California and it will become my new everyday vehicle. I love the practicality of 7 seats and a big boot but also having the option of two beds (with space for a cool box and small stove without having to literally take a kitchen sink out with me every time I go anywhere).

I've added a lot of extras - so many, in fact, that I could have got a basic Ocean for slightly less! - but I've created my perfect vehicle for my needs, whatever the intended use on that particular day!

Finally, and quite relevantly, we also have a caravan, so my Beach will be more of a day van that I COULD sleep in on a spontaneous night away than a dedicated, full-time camper.
T6 Beach on order - due April/May 2015

Stu
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Stu » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:06 am

Seems like a very considered approach.

The subject of options is always a tough one for me, i have bought a number of new cars in recent years and always end up adding too many and these are never really appreciated at resale - although slightly different with the California as some options are 'essential'.
Stu....

www.vw-californiaclub.com ~ www.vw-californiaclub.co.uk ~ vwcc.uk

You can now follow us on Twitter @VWCaliforniaEU.

Owen
Casual Camper
Casual Camper
Model: T5.1 California Beach
Colour: Night Blue

Post by Owen » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:06 pm

At the time I got my Beach it was a choice between used converted vans, a nearly new panel van + conversion or get a Beach and add a kitchen pod. SE's never appeared in the price range I was looking at.
After adding up the cost of adding a decent roof, crash tested sliding seat etc etc it was coming out to the same or more than a Beach. Figured let Volkswagen do the hard stuff and save time having to find a decent base vehicle and then taking it to a converter.

Robowagen
Casual Camper
Casual Camper

Post by Robowagen » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:56 am

Hi,

After selling our bay we went to our localish vw dealer to look at vans as I was convinced that a self build would be the way, after talking through with the dealer and describing our bay which would be the same setup we'd convert a T5 into he showed us the Beach which we all fell in love with & then bought!

So the requirements or justifications to the wife was that I'd get rid of my car & use the camper as my daily, it needed 5 seats with belts, pop up roof with bed for the kids & a nice big bed downstairs for us & as the beach was the 3 seater version it was perfect, full of what seemed to us as pure luxury refinements, built in blinds, led lighting etc. etc. & lets face it who doesn't like refinements...

I would consider an SE or Ocean possibly when the kids are doing their own things but would need to try out the smaller downstairs bed first or we'd have to go up top (will need a ladder tho for Mrs Robo).

Robo...
Robo...

Robowagen
Casual Camper
Casual Camper

Post by Robowagen » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:01 pm

Owen wrote:At the time I got my Beach it was a choice between used converted vans, a nearly new panel van + conversion or get a Beach and add a kitchen pod. SE's never appeared in the price range I was looking at.
After adding up the cost of adding a decent roof, crash tested sliding seat etc etc it was coming out to the same or more than a Beach. Figured let Volkswagen do the hard stuff and save time having to find a decent base vehicle and then taking it to a converter.

Our buying experience was the same however we didn't know the Beach existed until we visited a dealership to look at newish base vans to convert, got to say its working pretty well for us so far!
Robo...

Robowagen
Casual Camper
Casual Camper

Post by Robowagen » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:41 pm

Rhyddin wrote:For me, it was a matter of priorities.

An Ocean/SE would be more compromising than a Beach because, when it arrives, I'll be trading in an A6 Avant for my new California and it will become my new everyday vehicle. I love the practicality of 7 seats and a big boot but also having the option of two beds (with space for a cool box and small stove without having to literally take a kitchen sink out with me every time I go anywhere).

I've added a lot of extras - so many, in fact, that I could have got a basic Ocean for slightly less! - but I've created my perfect vehicle for my needs, whatever the intended use on that particular day!

Finally, and quite relevantly, we also have a caravan, so my Beach will be more of a day van that I COULD sleep in on a spontaneous night away than a dedicated, full-time camper.

We are just into our second year of Beach ownership & would love to know what sort of extra's you have gone for (I'm nosy like that)...

Top of our list is a diesel night heater (our beach was an ex demo so couldn't spec any extra's) jointly with a tow bar as I'm looking at little sleeping pods so our daughter can have her own space and maybe take a friend along on our adventures...

I'm also looking to build a pod for the rear but not a slidepod full width type I want to use the depth available in the boot and no more than half the width leaving the other side for easy access for all the other gear we take away with us...
IMG_0661.JPG
This was the crude but practical solution we had for our bay and we'd like something just as simple for the boot of the Cali...
Robo...